Ok so the pineapples aren’t actually green but this salad is chock-full of green leafy veggies. I’m on a kale kick lately (sorry everyone but you’ll learn to love it). Kalvin and I recently went to Boston and ate at this cute little bakery, Flour bakery + cafe (twice, actually). The first time, I got their Soba Noodle salad and MAN, I did NOT regret getting a salad at a bakery. It had this amazing sesame dressing on it. So light and fresh! Perfect for a hot day walking around ALL of Boston. The second time we went I got a sticky pecan bun and a sour cream coffee cake but that’s ok because my body asked for it! For real though, if you’re ever in Boston, go and get everything on their menu. Especially the buns.
Okay, now back to my salad. I tried to imitate the dressing as best as possible and I didn’t have soba noodles on hand so I left them out here. The trick to making this salad is massage the kale. Coat the kale in the dressing for about 30 minutes before serving after vigorously massaging it to avoid that bitter flavor commonly associated with kale.
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup agave
- salt, to taste
Combine all ingredients in mason jar. Cover and shake vigorously.
Sesame Summer Salad
- kale, washed, dried, and cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple, diced
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- lean protein (I used jumbo shrimp here but the original salad uses tofu)
- 1 small habenero pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- Prepare dressing and set aside.
- Place kale in large mixing bowl. Pour dressing on kale and using hangs, massage thoroughly. Work dressing into each piece of kale. Don’t skimp on this step! Trust me. Let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook protein as desired.
- Add pineapples, almonds, lean protein and pepper to kale. Toss and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.